Myanmar airstrike kills 14 at Buddhist monastery: reports


At least 14Ā people were killed when a military airstrike hit a Buddhist monastery in Myanmar’s central Sagaing region, an opposition group and local witnessesĀ said Saturday.

Friday’s attack,Ā by the ruling military regime that seized power in a 2021 coup, is the latest deadly assault on pro-democracy forces in the Southeast Asian country’s ongoing civil war.

What do we know about the airstrike on the monastery in Myanmar?

The strike happenedĀ in Swel Le Oh village,Ā Myaung township, in central Myanmar,Ā said Nway Oo, a spokesman for anĀ anti-governmentĀ resistance group.

The village isĀ about 75 kilometers (45 miles) west of Mandalay, the country’s second largest city.

Nway Oo, from the Civil Defense and Security Organization of Myaung Township, or CDSOM, said the dead included three women and that 20 others were wounded.

The Associated Press spoke to a villager who confirmed the death toll and said that a military jet dropped two bombs 15 minutes apart.

The villager said the second strike damaged a nearby house.

Victims were civilians attending a retreat

More than 100 people were taking part in a weeklong meditation retreat to mark Buddhist Lent, the villager added.

AFP news agency cited Nway Oo Myaung, a pro-democracy rebel, as saying: “It wasn’t a mistaken target;Ā they intentionally attacked a monastery.”

The military government has yet to confirm the strike.

Myanmar’s military has often usedĀ airstrikes to counter opposition forces, especially in Sagaing region, a stronghold of armed resistance.

Debris litters a Buddhist monastery after an airstrike hit Swel Le Oh village in Myaung Township, Myanmar, on August 21, 2026
Myanmar’s most recent coup ended a transition to democracy than began in 2011Image: Ko Nway Oo/AP Photo/picture alliance

UN flags sharp rise in airstrikes

A United Nations investigation team said last week it had observed a notable increaseĀ in aerial attacks over muchĀ of the past year.

The UN’sĀ Independent Investigative Mechanism for Myanmar (IIMM) accused the military-backed government ofĀ “indiscriminate and intentional aerial attacks against civilians.”

Last month, conflictĀ monitoring group ACLED accused the regime of adopting “a terror strategy” that it said focuses on “civilian infrastructure and social gatherings, such as weddings and religious festivals, to maximize psychological impact.”

Myanmar government defends strikes

On Sunday, Myanmar’s foreign ministry rejected the IIMM report, insisting that its operations were in response to insurgents and terrorist groups.

The ministry said it uses maximum restraint to avoid civilian harm.

Myanmar’s army took power from the elected government of Aung San Suu Kyi in February 2021.

Suu Kyi, a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, was detained andĀ sentenced to lengthy prison terms on multiple charges widely viewed as politically motivated. She was moved to house arrest in May.

Aung San Suu Kyi’s son on the latest images of his mother

To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video

After a brutal crackdown on peaceful demonstrations,Ā many opponents of military rule armed themselves andĀ plungedĀ large parts of the country into conflict.

More than 100,000 people are estimated to have been killed on all sides over the past five years, according to ACLED.

Myanmar held elections this year, which were widely condemned as a sham.

The polls culminated in the chief of the formerĀ junta, GeneralĀ Min Aung Hlaing, being appointed president, as the military regime sought to present itself as a civilian government.

Edited by: Karl Sexton

Don’t let the algorithm hide the news. If you rely on our team for trusted reporting, please take a moment to select us as your Preferred Source on Google byĀ clicking hereĀ and hitting the “star” or “preferred” button, so you’ll always see our verified news first.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *